Yaya Han discovered cosplay in 1999, when it was still a small, quirky section of the geek-fandom. Armed with a used $40 sewing machine, Yaya threw herself into making costumes headfirst, and quickly absorbed the heart and soul of costume design and creation. To this day, Yaya has made over 375 personal costumes in every fandom genre imaginable, as well as her own original designs. Her long-standing consistency of creating intricate and lavish costumes has made her a Craftsmanship Icon in the cosplay world, and inspired countless people to get into cosplay. She has been invited to appear as a Guest, Panelist, Judge, Performer and Host to hundreds of conventions and events all over the world.
Over the years, Yaya has played a pivotal role in introducing cosplay to the mainstream audience. She has been a Guest Judge on 3 seasons of TBS TV Network's "King of the Nerds" competition show, starred in the Syfy TV Network's Docu-Series "Heroes of Cosplay", and been interviewed countless times by media outlets about fandom and cosplay.
Last year, Yaya lent her image to the comic book series "Wonderous 2: The Yaya Han Saga", produced by Lionforge Comics, and became a legitimate superhero in the comic book world.
Yaya's current focus is on making tools and materials more available to the cosplay community, through collaborations with global creative companies.
She has been designing a popular line of cosplay sewing patterns with The McCall Pattern Company. Jo-Ann Fabric & Craft Stores released the Cosplay by Yaya Han fabric line, making high quality cosplay-centric materials easily accessible to professionals, and amateur users in North America. Most recently, Yaya became a Brand Ambassador for the Bernina Sewing Machine Company and helped them launch the new series of B500 machines.
Commercial ventures aside, Yaya often participates in charitable projects involving cosplay, and strives to be a positive force in the community. Through hard work, unmatched passion and infectious enthusiasm, Yaya has helped cosplay gain respect and integrity as an art form in the fandom world and art communities, and her decade long campaign for creativity has helped raise Cosplay to the standards we know today. Everyday, Yaya continues to pave the path for the beloved art and lifestyle we know as Cosplay.
Sci-fi Convention Guest Appearances
- Comic Con Africa 2018 - September 14-16, 2018 in Midrand, South Africa
- Fan Expo Boston 2018 - August 10-12, 2018 in Boston, MA
- London Film & Comic Con 2018 - July 27-29, 2018 in London, UK
- MegaCon Orlando 2018 - May 24-27, 2018 in Orlando, FL
- South Texas Comic Con 2018 - April 27-29, 2018 in McAllen, TX 2017
- MegaCon Orlando 2017 - May 25-28, 2017 in Orlando, FL 2016
- F.A.C.T.S. 2016 - October 22-23, 2016 in Ghent, Belgium
- FanExpo Canada 2016 - September 1-4, 2016 in Toronto, ON, Canada
- Närcon Sommar 2016 - July 28-31, 2016 in Linköping, Sweden 2015
- Wintercon 2015 - December 5-6, 2015 in Jamaica, NY
- Comic Con Stockholm 2015 - October 30 - November 1, 2015 in Stockholm, Sweden
- Dragon Con 2015 - September 4-7, 2015 in Atlanta, GA
- FanExpo Canada 2015 - September 3-6, 2015 in Toronto, ON, Canada 2014
- Wintercon 2014 - December 6-7, 2014 in Jamaica, NY
- Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo 2014 - October 31 - November 2, 2014 in Los Angeles, CA
- FanExpo Canada 2014 - August 28-31, 2014 in Toronto, ON, Canada 2013
- Hal-Con 2013 - November 8-10, 2013 in Halifax, NS, Canada 2012
- Armageddon Expo Auckland 2012 - October 19-22, 2012 in Auckland, New Zealand
- Armageddon Expo Melbourne 2012 - October 13-14, 2012 in Melbourne, Australia
- Dragon*Con 2012 - August 31 - September 3, 2012 in Atlanta, GA 2010
- Dragon*Con 2010 - September 3-6, 2010 in Atlanta, GA
- ImagiCon 2010 - May 21-24, 2010 in Birmingham, AL
- MegaCon 2010 - March 12-14, 2010 in Orlando, FL 2009
- Con Nooga 2009 - February 20-22, 2009 in Chattanooga, TN
24 confirmed guest appearances
View Yaya Han on FanCons.com for 126 additional guest appearances